Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

eat; kale salad with pomegranate gems

Add caption
I have this dilemma where I am just about to experience my second summer in a row (I know..."poor me'!!!) which means what is in season here is NOT in season in the States and vise versa! Today, I went through some old photos (taken from Nat's great camera!) to write this post and came across this amazing salad I made earlier this year. If you are in the States right now, Pomegranates are just about to go in season, so all ye folks in Australia reading this post will just have to archive this recipe until next March. It is sooo Christmasy looking and unfortunately, I will never be able to experience serving it at Christmas time as neither Kale nor Pomegranates are in season here in Australia at Chrissy :0( But for today, lets just forget all that and feast our eyes on this amazing looking and tasting salad!

Serves 3-4

What you need;
 1 bunch of Kale
2 avocados
1/2 small red onion
1 pomegranate
juice of a small lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
















This salad is really easy to make and the best part is that it will last a few days in the fridge, softening up and becoming yummier as it rests.


Start by finely slicing the onion. When I say finely, I mean really, really fine! Wash the kale and pull out your kitchen scissors, cutting off the curly bits of the Kale from it's stalk as shown in the middle pic. Throw away the stalk. Proceed to cut the Kale into little bit size pieces and set aside. Scoop out the Pomegranate seeds and set aside.


Kale needs to be 'massaged' so that it breaks down and wilts, making it easier to eat (don't skimp on this step or you will be sorry!) Do this by adding the avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to the kale in a big mixing bowl. Simply 'massage' the Kale by squeezing through the avocado dressing for about 4-5 minutes. Yep, your hand will be sore after all that massaging!!!

Once you have wilted the Kale, add the onion and toss it through. Place a serving amount on each plate, stacking it up high so that it looks pretty and like a Christmas tree (as every day should be like Christmas!!!). Sprinkle the Pomegranate gems over the salad and serve. 


Creating this post really makes me WANT a great camera NOW! I have thrown it out there to the universe and I'm expecting to have an awesome camera by Christmas! YAY! In the meantime, enjoy the visuals of this post. I think it's definitely a good looking post if I say so myself! lol!

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment