Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

eat; lettuce wraps

ifood.tv

While on my detox a few weeks ago, I was enjoying these lettuce wraps without the avocado. They are really fun to eat and you can add all sorts of things in them like sprouted lentils or alfalfa. I was making these while in The States and drowning them in Trader Joe's yummy Goddess Dressing! I wrote down the ingredients so I could replicate it while here in Australia, but I seem to have lost the recipe! I'm devastated! So any of you Americans reading this right now, please rush out and get a bottle and please post the ingredients down the bottom so I may make up this dressing!


What you need;
Romaine lettuce leaves
1 Beet
1 Carrot
1/2 Avocado
Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley or basil)
Any other vegies you feel like. Play around with different combos.
Salt and pepper to taste















Start by cutting your carrots and beets into julienne slices. If you are not up for the challenge of cutting them into julienne slices, pull out the grater; it will taste just as great grated. I normally make up a containers worth when I do it so I only do it once but get to enjoy them over a few days. Make sure your container is airtight if you decide to do this.



Wash the lettuce under warm running water so the leaves may go a little limp for easy rolling, then split each leaf at the bottom as shown in the image below.



Cut your avocado into thin slices by going across the fruit. With a spoon, scoop out the slices and set aside.


To assemble simply lay the julienne slices neatly across the bottom of the leaf where you created the split. Add your fresh herbs, a slice or two of avocado and drizzle with the Goddess Dressing if you have it. Do not over pack the vegies! Keep them at a minimum and make more if you have to. It will be easier to roll if they are not bursting out at the seams! Add salt and pepper to taste and carefully begin to roll the leaves. A wonderfully fun and healthy lunch! I suggest serving with sparkling mineral water with a few slices of fresh cucumber...YUM!


 Boun Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment