Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

eat; raw zucchini spaghetti with aioli and basil

hughesfpi.com

I've decided to kick posting the numerical days of my raw week on the 'eat' section of my blog, as my raw week has now turned into my raw month, which I predict will simply turn into my raw adventures. I have just ordered a spirooli as I was sick of spending half an hour cutting zucchini by hand to create spaghetti (you'll see what I mean when you read the below recipe!). I'm super excited as this means I am going to create some amazingness with raw zucchini pasta!! Soooo excited!!!!!! I am changing the meaning of Sofia Lorens quote; "Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." Bring on the raw spaghetti!!!!

This weeks recipe I created just a few days ago. I am now getting close to the point where I don't need recipes and experimenting from the basics of raw food 'cooking' I have been teaching myself. I must admit to some disasters during this learning period, but the more I 'cook' raw, the better the dishes are getting. One of my housemates said that my cooking has jumped up 10 notches, stating that the food I prepared before going raw was at a high standard anyway. I was soooo grateful for her kind words :0)

A few days ago, I made this zucchini spaghetti tossed with aioli. YUUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! 

Serves 4


 What you need;
4-6 zucchinis
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbl lemon juice
3 garlic cloves
salt to taste
4 large basil leaves
cracked pepper to serve









If you have a Spirooli, go ahead and make the spaghetti, if not, follow these steps to cut by hand. If you wanted to, you could use a vegetable peeler to create pappardelle pasta. That is entirely up to you. For this dish, I think the green from the zucchini skin compliments the basil so I have left it on. Entirely up to you.



Start by 'leveling' out the zucchini by slicing a little off so that it can sit flat and even on the chopping board.


Holding the zucchini lengthwise, cut thin slices just over the thickness you might get from a vegetable peeler.


Once all the zucchini is cut, lay pieces flat and cut into thin stripes, placing them into a big bowl as you go along. The above picture is what you are aiming for. Don't worry if some are thinner than others or shorter or whatever. It will all taste AMAZING either ways and thats all that matters!!!!!

  
This what it will all look like. Yes it does look stiff, but once mixed with the Aioli, it will soften like pasta.


To make the Aioli, simply put all the ingredients (of course not the zucchini!) except for the basil and cracked pepper into a food processor and wizz away! Once all blended and creamy, add the basil leaves and 'pulse' it until chopped. Pour over the zucchini spaghetti and mix it through by hand.



Place a handful onto each serving plate and add cracked pepper. Serve with a really good chilled white wine...YUM!!!!!

Buon Apettito!

No comments:

Post a Comment