Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

pink; padded cell

http://jenniferrubell.com/images/happenings/upload/_MG_3606copy_2.jpg

Check this out!!!! I came across an article in The New Yorker whilst lazing on the beach in San Diego on the weekend about Jennifer Rubell. She is an artist who uses food in her work, which caused me to do some research. AND I FOUND THIS!!!!! It is a padded cell made of fairy floss (cotton candy!!!!).  I thought I would love ANYTHING made with fairy floss but this gives me the creeps! 

It is a freestanding structure to replicating a padded cell and was created for a dinner party Rubell hosted as part of her exhibition. The guests were not allowed in until after 9pm causing them to be excited about the idea of being surrounded by pink fairy floss (cotton candy) yet disturbed by the thought of entering a padded cell.

 

Here is an excert from Rubells website;

Padded cell is an 8’X16’ freestanding room constructed of basic building materials, with a single door that contains a plexiglass window. Inside, the walls and ceilingare padded with pink cotton candy, and a bare light bulb hangs in the center. The door is opened at 9pm, but the interior is visible through the window throughout the evening. The Red Party’s main dinner is served inside a Russian-themed constructivist set, and Padded Cell acts as an escape from that, an all-American funhouse that is at the same time confining, threatening, claustrophobic. It is an object that addresses the dark side of pleasure, the price of pleasure, the possibility that pleasure is its own punishment. Approximately 1,600 cones of cotton candy are used in its construction.

I do love the pics of people eating the fairy floss and the way it looked after the attack!


Rubell has totally inspired me this week. She has been the first artist in a long time to really get me going with my own practice. As you all know, I love food but will never give up art for it. This artist has reminded me I don't have to and has inspired me to bring the food into my practice. Watch out guys! The next exhibition I have might require you all to come with an empty belly!!!!


2 comments: